So, here we are again posting a blog. It's day 4 of our trip. Yesterday was a world wind tour of museums. We first went to the Notre Dame and climbed to the top. More steps for us. I should have worn a pedometer. Got rained on. Then we headed over to the Louvre. OH MY GOSH! This place is huge and amazing. We saw the Mona Lisa, Venus DeMilo (Sherry I saw it and took a picture just for you) and works by Michelangelo. This place can be pretty overwhelming but for the art history majors this would be thrilling. If I was one I would have been there all day but I'm not and we weren't. I have to say I can't believe all of these museums you can take pictures in. You would think you couldn't. Nope they let you take lots of pictures and eat and drink. That's just weird but I guess it's the American way to get another buck out of someone appreciating art. Anyway, the Mona Lisa. What can I say. Some people say it's disappointing. Well when we walked into the room we could see it between all the people gathered around it. It was actually beautiful. You see it in so many books and prints but to see it in person was unforgettable.
So, after the Louvre we headed over to the L'Orangerie. This is where the main attraction is Monet. Two rooms of his water lilly paintings. This museum was ten times smaller than the Louvre. It was kind of nice to be in a smaller place for awhile. Everything is so big and so much to take in. Monet's water lillies were beautiful. I never knew they were so big.
After our tour of museums we took a break and then headed back out to climb more steps at the Arc de Triomphe. This where the Tour de France ends and the busiest intersection in the world. (So, I have heard.) From there we headed back over to the Eiffel Tower to see it at night. When we got there it was sparkling. It was so beautiful. We both think it is more beautiful at night than in the day. We have pictures to prove it. Then on our way back we enjoyed another crepe.
I almost forgot. We figured out the Metro system. How wonderful this is! Not as much walking especially when your feet hurt so bad you want to cry.
So, today is Monday. We took the train from Paris to Amboise. What a difference. It's like coming from New York City and traveling for 2 hours and arriving in Burnsville.
Paris Population: 10-12 million
Amboise Population: 10,000 -12,000
What a difference this place is. Much more friendly and slower pace. We are staying in a cute B&B. We toured the Chateau in Amboise and off to Chenonceaux tomorrow. After the Chateau we bought french bread and cheese and enjoyed it over looking the river. So, calm and peaceful. I wish the weather was a little warmer. We have been rained on once a day. Not yet today but it's a little breezy. Otherwise, it's beautiful. I can't complain!
So, for now that's all. Sorry the blog is so long. We didn't get to an internet cafe yesterday. Hope all is well back home.
Sorry no pics. today. We'll make up for it later.
AW & EW
No comments:
Post a Comment